Monday, 10 February 2014

Task 1 - Children's Illustrators - Initial Research

Spot the Dog by Eric Hill





Roald Dahl Books (The BFG, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Matilda)




The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle






'Dream Friends' by You Byun

http://youbyun.com/




I chose to focus on this illustrator as I have never come across her work before, and my initial thoughts were that her illustrations for this book are colourful and dream-like, the sort of thing I would have enjoyed as a child. Her art style seems simple yet detailed at the same time, such as the classic black dots for eyes making a simple yet expressive character amongst the vast colourful settings of the story. The hand-drawn techniques and water colour styled textures are very soft and visually appealing to children, especially girls I would think. I would say this book was aimed at slightly older children (6-10) due to the amount of detail and different imagery featured within. Younger children respond more to vibrant colours and block shapes such as in 'Spot the Dog' by Eric Hill, whereas 'Dream Friends' is ripe in textures and tones. I feel it is the perfect bedtime story as children will want to go to sleep and meet their own 'dream' friends.

"Byun is known and recognized for her detailed lines, colors and imaginative landscapes(such as background images and patterns), Byun also likes to draw characters and portraits.  Her illustration captures the magic of lush environments and a variety of memorable characters. She draws her influences from the various cultures she has lived amongst. Her illustrative storytelling is achieved through delicate details woven with rich colors, patterns and decorative ornaments. The works invite you into her fanciful realm that is playful yet sometimes tinged with a somber autumnal hint of transformation." - taken from Byun's website. 

No comments:

Post a Comment